By LINDA KELLETT
C-S-E News Staff
CANAJOHARIE — America was a divided nation, New York the most populous Union state and the chief contributor of Union troops when the former Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Canajoharie was constructed. Designed in the Gothic style of native limestone, it was built at its current location at the corner of Cliff and Walnut streets for about $5,000 in 1862 and remodeled 30 years later.
That’s according to Jean Stroud, who purchased the former Roman Catholic Church with her husband, Eric, in 2010, shortly after it was closed by the Roman Catholic Diocese in Albany. The former congregation merged with Our Lady of Hope in Fort Plain that summer.
She noted that in the church’s early years, a single priest travelled from Cooperstown to the site, and the congregation grew rapidly. They had their own resident priest by the 1870s, with missions branching out to Fort Plain and St. Johnsville in the 1880s.